Wednesday, November 14, 2012

There Is A Slight Flaw In My Character...

My apologies for not posting more often on this blog, but I've been kept fairly busy with my job and my NaNoWriMo writing. I definitely plan on writing my thoughts about Captain Vorpatril's Alliance as soon as I get the chance to sit down and read it, but I'm still working my way through two non-fiction books I picked up at the library. On a side note, The Thank You Economy, by Gary Vay-Ner-Chuk, was fairly good about social media marketing and customer engagement, if you're interested in that kind of thing.  The dude knows his wine too.

I would post more, but as the title says, there is a slight flaw in my character.

Which brings me to the actual, short subject of this blog post, a book that is criminally under-appreciated and an amazing read. That book is Bridge of Birds, by Barry Hughart. It's a fantastic novel of an Ancient China that never was, starring a kind-hearted and over-muscled villager who becomes the sidekick of a venerable, roguish detective in a quest to find a cure for the village's poisoned children. It's fantastic.

I first encountered the book due to John Rateliff's Classics of Fantasy series, which I'm going to admit had some real stinkers in the list. Bridge of Birds is a winner though. I even tracked down one of the sequels to the work, Eight Skilled Gentlemen, which was sadly not as good.

Read Bridge of Birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment